Qualification Scenario for AFG, NZ, and PAK after Maxwell’s Heroics
Pakistan's path to the World Cup semi-final remains difficult as they are heavily dependent on Sri Lanka thrashing New Zealand.
After Australia defeated Afghanistan in the 39th match of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 courtesy of Glenn Maxwell’s blistering knock of 201* from just 128 balls at Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai last night, the path for Pakistan to qualify remains difficult as they’re very relaying on the result of Sri Lanka vs New Zealand match which is to be played tomorrow at Bengaluru.
Maxwell hit Afghanistan’s bowlers all around the Wankhede Stadium along with the support of Pat Cummins. Yesterday’s win against Afghanistan helped them through the semis while the Afghan’s yet to play the game against South Africa on Friday in their last group match.
A win for Afghanistan against South Africa helped them to 10 points. To advance into the semi-final they have to wait for the results of the Sri Lanka vs New Zealand and Pakistan vs England match. If Sri Lanka beat New Zealand and England beat Pakistan then Afghanistan will through.
If Afghanistan beats Proteas massively, New Zealand beats Sri Lanka, and Pakistan beats England then Net Run Rate (NRR) will come into play. The team with the better run rate will qualify for the semis. For New Zealand, they must have to defeat Sri Lanka convincingly. Pakistan not only had to defeat England but also relied on both matches Afghanistan vs South Africa and Sri Lanka vs New Zealand where South Africa and Sri Lanka emerged as victorious and made it comfortable for Pakistan where they just had to defeat England.
• If New Zealand beats Sri Lanka by 50 runs, Pakistan will have to beat England by 180 runs.
• If New Zealand beats SL by 1 run, Pakistan will have to beat England by 131 runs.
• If Sri Lanka beats New Zealand, Pakistan will just have to beat England and they will qualify.
• If Sri Lanka vs New Zealand is washed out due to rain, Pakistan will just have to beat England to qualify.
• November 9: New Zealand vs Sri Lanka at M. Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bengaluru.
• November 10: Afghanistan vs South Africa at Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad.
• November 11: Pakistan vs England at Eden Gardens, Kolkata.